Lifeguard Instructor Course
- Be at least 17 years old on or before the last day of the instructor course.
- Possess one of the following:
- A current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- A current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid and either an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for Lifeguards.
- An equivalent certificate from another organization
- Successfully complete the online Orientation to the Red Cross.
- Successfully complete the online Orientation to the Lifeguarding course.
- Successfully complete the online Lifeguarding Instructor Precourse Exam (80% or better).
- Successfully complete the Precourse Session.
- Obtain the Lifeguarding Instructor’s Manual and Lifeguarding Manual after you have successfully completed the Precourse Session.
The purpose of the instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach the Red Cross Lifeguarding, Shallow Water Lifeguarding, Waterfront Skills, Waterpark Skills, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers, Administering Emergency Oxygen and Bloodborne Pathogens Training: Preventing Disease Transmission courses and/or modules. Instructor candidates will also become familiar with Junior Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Management, Safety Training for Swim Coaches and Basic Water Rescue.
To become certified as a Lifeguarding instructor, instructor candidates must:
- Successfully complete the Online Session.
- Successfully complete the Prerequisite Session.
- Attend and actively participate in all course sessions.
- Successfully complete class activities, including the four practice-teaching assignments.
- Score a minimum of 80 percent (32 correct answers out of 40 questions) on the Bloodborne Pathogens Training Instructor Self-Study Test.
- Score a minimum of 80 percent (12 correct answers out of 15 questions) on the basic-level Administering Emergency Oxygen final written exam.
- Score a minimum of 80 percent (20 correct answers out of 25 questions) on the instructor course final written exam.
Length of Class:
- The Online Session for the instructor course takes approximately 2 hours, 30 minutes.
- The classroom sessions are designed to be taught in approximately 18 hours, 45 minutes (including the Prerequisite Session).